Before you get into the part of creating a website that perfectly frames your view of the world, your product or service, and your customer service orientation, you first must get past the nuts and bolts of setting up your blogsite pages. If you do it systematically, you will have the process committed to memory by the time you’ve done a couple. If not, here are some simple steps to first create the page and then to make a page into the front page.
As we get into this content, you will see more clearly why WordPress is considered such a user-friendly website product. Once you have the steps, you can carry them through to create site. Even if you feel you want the input of a designer or coder in the process, you can hire out what is outside your realm of artistry and expertise while still being able to retain control over your site. So here’s what you do, in nine simple steps
How To Create A Simple Blogsite Page
You’ll use steps 1-9 every time you want to create a new page for your blogsite, so please refer back to these instructions anytime you need a refresher!
- Log into your WordPress blogsite account (www.yourblogsite.com/wp-login.php ).
- Click “Pages” in the menu bar.
- Click “Add New” in the sub-menu.
- Enter the name of your page (e.g., Home, Welcome) in the field marked “Enter title here.” What you input in this field will appear both in the menu bar and at the top of the page when someone views it. (There are ways to change this so the page title doesn’t appear at the top of the page, but it requires a little bit of coding. Contact us at https://wpblogsites.com/contact-us/ .
- Enter the content of the page in the text editor (the big empty box below the formatting toolbar)
- Use the formatting toolbar to add bold, italics, links or other elements to your page’s content
- To save your work as you go, click “Save Draft” or rely on the built-in auto-save which saves your work every 60 seconds.
- To preview your page before you publish it, click the “Preview” button on the right. A new window or tab will open and display the page you are working on.
- When your page is ready, click “Publish.” You’ve now published your page on the Internet.
How To Change Your Front Page From A Blog Page To A Static Page
Designating one of the pages that you’ve created as a front page requires a few more easy steps.
- Use the previous instructions to create and publish two new pages – one named “Home” (or anything you like) and one named “Blog.”
- Click on “Settings” and choose “Reading” from the sub-menu.
- At the top of the page, you’ll see a section called “Front page displays.” Click the box next to “A static page.”
- Next to “Front page,” select “Home” (or whatever you’ve chosen as your page title) in the drop-down menu.
- Next to “Posts page,” select your “Blog” page title in the drop-down menu.
- Click “Save Changes.”
- To see what a visitor will see when they arrive at your site, click on the title of your site at the top of your screen, next to the WordPress logo.
Watch my blog for more tips about setting your blogsite pages with WordPress, or better yet, buy my book. Just click here, and within minutes you can have an electronic copy in hand or a print copy on the way.